McDonald Family History
DONALD McDONALD, farmer, of Carsphairn, Kirkcudbrightshire, m. ISABEL McDONALD and had issue:
ANGUS McDONALD, variously described as grocer, mason, quarryman and blacksmith, of Benston Smithy, New Cumnock, Ayrshire, b. circa 1785 at Carsphairn, Kirkcudbrightshire, m. MARGARET, bapt 12 Feb 1786 at Knocklay, Balmaclellan, Kirkcudbrightshire, dau of JOHN OSBORNE, farmer, and his wife JANET (née GIBSON). She d. 7 Jan 1857, aged 70, and was buried in the Churchyard, New Cumnock and he d. 10 May 1859, aged 75, at Holmhead of Broomfield, Auchinleck and was buried in the Churchyard, New Cumnock having had issue:
- Alexander, of 68 Village, Sorn, Ayrshire, emigrated with his family to Australia on the Mary Pleasants, leaving London on 14 Aug 1857, storekeeper at Mount Brisbane for Messrs E. and F. Bigge, sheep overseer for Major North at Bellevue, later a farmer, of Glamorgan Vale, b. 16 Dec 1813 at New Galloway, Kirkcudbrightshire, m. Mary Currie, b. 13 Jan 1813 at Sorn, Ayrshire, dau of Adam Currie and his wife Annabelle (née Wilson). He d. 7 Feb 1900 at Elibank, Glamorgan Vale and was buried in Ipswich General Cemetery on 8 Feb 1900 having and had issue:
- Angus, of Harrisville, b. circa 1848 at Tarbolton, Ayrshire, d. 16 May 1909.
- Adam, b. circa 1850 at Sorn, Ayrshire, living in 1901.
- Annabelle Wilson, of Glamorgan Vale, Queensland, b. circa 1845 at New Cumnock, m. 31 Jul 1861 at Mortimer Street, Ipswich, Queensland, Andrew Watherston, b. 28 Aug 1829 at Yarrow, Selkirk, Scotland, son of Andrew Watherston and his wife Jessie (née Grieve). He d. 4 Dec 1915 and she d. 4 Dec 1917 having had issue: 6 sons and 6 daus.
- Margaret, of Mount Crosby, b. circa 1849 at Tarbolton, Ayrshire, m. George McPhail. He d. 3 Mar 1923 at Alice Street, Red Hill, Brisbane and she d. 4 Jun 1930 having had issue: 2 sons and 8 daus.
- John, b. 8 Mar 1816 at Dalry, Kirkcudbrightshire.
- James, bapt 19 Mar 1820 at Old Cumnock, Ayrshire.
- HUGH, of whom presently.
- William, draper and later smack owner, of 36 Holles Street, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, b. 25 Aug 1826 at Crook, bapt 26 Nov 1826 at Auchencross in the parish of New Cumnock, m. 16 Jul 1860 at New Cumnock, his cousin, Jane (Jeanie), b. 18 Mar 1840 at Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, dau of William Osborne and his wife Ellen (née Kennedy). She d. Oct 1930, aged 91, in London having had issue:
- William, solicitor’s clerk, b. 1864, living in 1881.
- John, b. 1872, living in 1881.
- Helen K., b. circa 1868, living in 1881.
- Angusina, b. 1870, living in 1881.
- Margaret Isabel, b. 1874, living in 1881.
- Janet, b. 17 Jun 1809 at Dalry, Kirkcudbrightshire, m. George Campbell, farmer, bapt 27 Apr 1778 at Waterhead, Old Cumnock, Ayr, son of Ivie Campbell, farmer, and his wife Jane (née Gemmel). He d. 14 Mar 1855, aged 76, at Holmhead and she d. 3 Jan 1859 at Holmhead having had issue: 3 sons and 5 daus.
- Isabel, b. 16 Oct 1811 at Dalry, Kirkcudbrightshire, m. Alexander McSkimming, shepherd, son of William McSkimming, farmer, and his wife Susan (née Greig). He d. 24 Dec 1861, aged 58, at Airie, Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire and she d. 24 Apr 1902 at Shiel Farm, Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire having had issue: 2 sons and 4 daus.
- Margaret (Maggie), bapt 16 Dec 1817 at Old Cumnock, m. 24 Jun 1842 at Minnigaff, Kirkcudbrightshire, Robert Armstrong, quarryman, of Coalburn, New Cumnock, son of James Armstrong, shepherd, and his wife Jean (née Hanna). She d. 2 Aug 1869 at Coalburn and he d. 11 Apr 1870, aged 65, at Coalburn having had issue.
- Agnes, b. 20 May 1824 at Crook, bapt 6 Jun 1824 at New Cumnock.
- Elizabeth, b. 22 Jan 1830 at Crook, bapt 21 Feb 1830 at New Cumnock.
HUGH McDONALD, variously described as farmer, grocer and draper, of Barbeth, New Abbey, Kirkcudbrightshire, 31 Cotton Street, Kelton, Kirkcudbrightshire and later of Roslea Drive, Glasgow, b. 22 Mar 1822 at Crook, bapt 26 Apr 1822 at New Cumnock, m. 17 Feb 1862 at Gretna Green (Graitney), MARGARET IRVING, bapt 20 Aug 1826 at Hoddam, Dumfriesshire, dau of WILLIAM THOMSON, farm manager, and his wife MARGARET (née RODDICK). She d. 24 Feb 1902 at 25 Roslea Drive and he d. 5 Mar 1903 at 59 Roslea Drive having had issue:
- ANGUS, of whom presently.
- William Thomson (Willie) (later Macdonald), grocer and fruit broker, of 85-87 Candleriggs, Glasgow and later with D. Crossley & Sons, who lived at 4 Alexandra Park Gardens, Glasgow, at Barbeth, Merrylee Road, Glasgow and later at Ashbank, Pollokshaws Road, Shawlands, Glasgow, b. 28 Jul 1864 at Barbeth, New Abbey, m. 26 Mar 1894 at Kirkcudbright, Ellen Isobel (Nell), dau of John Anderson, joiner, of Kirkcudbright and his wife Mary, dau of John Clingan, gardener, of Carlinwark, near Castle Douglas. She d. 25 Apr 1939 at 1255 Pollokshaws Road and he d. 13 Jan 1952 at 22 Kirkburn Avenue, Cambuslang having had issue:
- Hugh, Air Mechanic (2nd Class), School of Technical Training, Royal Air Force, b. 25 May 1897 at 219 Onslow Drive, Glasgow, d. 30 May 1918 and was buried in Sandymount Cemetery, Glasgow.
- Ian (later Iain), b. 17 July 1900 at 4 Alexander Park Gardens, Glasgow, living at the Seamill Hotel in 1939.
- Isobel Anderson (Bel), of 22 Kirkburn Avenue, Cambuslang, b. 19 Sep 1903 at 4 Alexander Park Gardens, Glasgow, m. Alex McCubbin and d. 1975.
- Winnie, of Ashbank, 1255 Pollokshaws Road, Shawlands, Glasgow, who may have d. 1982.
- Margaret (Meg), head of the Millinery Department, Dalys Warehouse, Glasgow, b. 24 Jan 1866 at Barbeth, New Abbey, d. unmarried 25 Sep 1930 at the Seamill Hotel.
- Helen Elizabeth (Nellie), proprietor of the Seamill Hotel, West Kilbride, b. 7 Aug 1867 at Barbeth, New Abbey, d. unmarried 16 Nov 1939 at the Seamill Hotel.
- Janet, b. 8 Sep 1868 at Barbeth, New Abbey, unmarried in 1901.
ANGUS McDONALD, District Locomotive Superintendent, Bombay, Baroda & Central India Railway 1900-25, b. 18 Jan 1863 at Square, Cumnock, apprentice engine fitter, of 8 Palermo Street, Glasgow in 1881, m. 7 Sep 1901 at St. Mary’s Church, Jamalpur, Bengal, BERYL ELLIOTT, b. 16 Aug 1879, bapt 29 Oct 1879 at All Saints’, Allahabad, elder dau of HARRY FINDON, Head Clerk, Locomotive Superintendent’s Office, East India Railway, Jamalpur and his wife ELLIOTT ANN (alternative photograph), dau of STEPHEN HOWELL ENGLEY, engine driver, East India Railway, of Assensole, Bengal. He d. circa 1930 at Seamill and she d. 6 Dec 1956 at 4 Victoria Avenue, Surbiton having had issue:
- DOUGLAS HARRY HUGH, of whom presently.
- Muriel Elliott Doreen, of 26 Grove Way, Esher, Surrey, b. 7 Jan 1908 in Bombay, India, educ St. Mary’s Hall, Brighton, m. 5 Sep 1931 at St. Alban’s, Teddington, Walter Blair, C.A., Squadron Leader, R.A.F. 1939-45, Company Secretary and later Chairman, Johannesburg Consolidated Investment Company Ltd., son of David Keay Blair, partner in Law Bingham (Accountants) of Hong Kong, and his wife Florence (née Mather). He d. 8 Sep 1984 and she d. 9 May 1991 having had issue: 1 son and 3 daus.
DOUGLAS HARRY HUGH McDONALD (alternative photograph, alternative photograph), Director, Creighton Laboratories Ltd., of The Gate House, Eashing, near Godalming, Surrey, 14 Roymount Court, Strawberry Hill, Middlesex and later of West Chiltington, Sussex, b. 5 Nov 1902 at Jamalpur, bapt 16 Nov 1902 at Jamalpur, educ Dollar Academy, Clackmannanshire, Imperial Service College, Windsor, Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, 2nd Lieutenant 1 Feb 1923, Unattached List, Indian Army, served with 2nd Battalion, The Devonshire Regiment, worked for The British and North European Bank Limited from 24 Nov 1924 to 26 Aug 1925, worked for The Srawak Trading Co. Ltd. from Nov 1925 to Feb 1927, m. 1stly 3 Feb 1926 (marriage dissolved) at St. Paul’s, Knightsbridge, ELIZABETH HILDA CAROLINE, eldest dau of RUDOLF ARTHUR JACOB WOLFF, Senior Partner of Rudolf Wolff & Co. (Metal Brokers), and his wife HILDA ADELA, dau of ALFRED COLES. See Wolff Family History. She d. 9 Oct 1984 having had issue: 1 dau. He m. 2ndly 22 Jul 1936 (marriage dissolved 18 Aug 1950) at Westminster Register Office, Eileen Maryllia, younger dau of Frederick William Patrick Clark, Lloyd’s insurance broker with Tyser & Co., and his wife Ada, dau of William Bowyer Pearmain. She d. 17 May 1958 having had issue: 1 son. He m. 3rdly 29 Sep 1958 at Westminster Register Office, Ethel Muriel, dau of Charles James Pink and his wife Lousia Emily (née Dean). He d. 22 Aug 1974 at St. Barnabas, Columbia Drive, Worthing and she d. 2 Aug 2002, aged 87, at 18 Timberlands, Storrington, Pulborough, West Sussex.